Monday, March 28, 2016

Travelogue 6 - Provincetown - September 25 - 29, 2015


This recent trip to Provincetown marks my 6th or 7th time there, I lost count. I also lost most of the details of this trip because I waited too long to write my impressions.  Then again, I really don't need to rely on memory to remind me why I love to come back to Provincetown time and again. It's the New England style architecture; the little coastal style cottages that hark back to America's colonial past. It's also the great little shops, art galleries, and restaurants that populate the main spine of Commercial Street.
Jack Aiello Photography
Typical house at Provincetown    ©Jack Aiello Photography
www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com
It's definitely the liberal vibe of a town that used to be an LGBT vacation spot for so many decades. P-Town gets extremely crowded during the summer months. I pretty much avoid it during July, August and the better part of September.  Towards October, the weather is still amenable and the town has a chance to breathe. It's still crowded, but less so. It's a manageable chaos.

I spent my days walking up and down Commercial Street, finding usual and unusual spots to photograph.
Copyright Jack Aiello Photography
Alley that leads to the Beach - Provincetown, 2015
©Jack Aiello Photography   www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com
I got my coffee and pastry every morning from the Portuguese bakery.  I tried to photograph the blood moon that was going to make an appearance during my stay here. While it escaped my photographic talents, that rust colored moon will always be etched in my mind. I managed to get this instead:
Jack Aiello Photography
Provincetown Harbor at dusk. ©Jack Aiello Photography
www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com
I had Lobster Newburg at the Lobster Pot Restaurant, lazily sipped even more coffee at The Wired Puppy and shopped for overpriced knick knacks at shops all along the way. Truthfully, I wish I could have enjoyed Provincetown more this time around, but it was my fault for bringing work into the equation. Sometimes I don't know how to shut it out or turn it off. Nevertheless, this place has a way of drawing you out of yourself, to enjoy the weather, the crowds, the food and the seaside simplicity of a town that manages to slow time for a bit.
© Jack Aiello Photography
In front of a shop window, Provincetown, 2015
www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com

©Jack Aiello Photography - www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com
The Pilgrim Monument, Provincetown 2015
©Jack Aiello Photography  •  www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com

www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com
Sunflower in front of a cottage  •  Provincetown, 2015
©Jack Aiello Photography  •  www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com

www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com
Commercial Street, Provincetown 2015
©Jack Aiello Photography  •  www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com