Photo Pop Library #1

From time to time, I'm going to post a photograph from my portfolio and explain the history of the image. I think it's a great way to introduce you slowly to my image library and get to know who I am and what I'm all about. More important, it gives me the opportunity to lend some context. Photographs are such a tie to the memory that we really shouldn't lose the connection between the two. I'll try to make it as entertaining as possible. Writing skills don't fail me now.  First up is this:

Technical Details: f/5.6, 2 secs, ISO 80 at 6.1mm focal length

This rickety old ferris wheel was part of the Throgs Neck Street Fair two blocks from my home. The convenience of location is a great motivator, but I have to say I was also fascinated and not a little worried at how dangerously old these rides appeared to be. I have to think they go through some sort of QA testing because judging on their looks alone, they looked as if they could fall apart from an unexpected gust of wind.

Perspective is Everything
Fortunately, the rides were churning away with no incident. They squeaked and moaned, but they were sturdier than they looked. When night came, I decided to find the right angle and perspective to capture these brightly lit steel frames. I was getting some decent shots that night, but for this one, I managed to spread my tripod's legs really far out to get a really low point of view.

I pointed the camera up and I got this gorgeous shot. I don't do a lot of post processing aside from sharpening, levels and white balance tweaking, noise reduction and some clone stamping to reduce blemishes or remove unwanted elements. In my later images, I'm learning to incorporate HDR elements and luminance masking, but that's for another topic.

Out of the box and with some basic post processing, I'm really proud of this image because it taught me that composition is just as important as subject matter. What's the point of photographing the Flatiron Building if it looks the same as every other's? Putting a new spin on a shopworn image is what makes the medium so exciting. It's something I constantly remind myself to consider when I'm out in the field and thinking about composition.

And besides, every time I look at this ferris wheel, it reminds me of my immediate neighborhood. See, even The Bronx can be beautiful. For more information check out my site: www.jackaiello.photoshelter.com

Popular Posts