Dipping My Toes in the Lake Known as HDR

In my previous post, I explained why I take photographs. I really should have qualified it with a "Part I" subtitle.  I've been taking photos for over 15 years, but never turned it into a professional discipline. For me, there's something vaguely scary about monetizing a hobby. Committing to an activity that I thoroughly enjoy, and trying to make a living from it, seems to sap the fun out of it. I'm not saying this is a logical statement; as you can hardly argue an emotion. So for the longest time, I've kept an arm's length to anything dealing with the business side of photography. I can't seem to make that leap, so I keep it just on the other side of things: I travel and take road trips, scout locations and just enjoy the process of interpreting nature through the mechanical eye of the camera.

Fine.

But I noticed that my craft was stagnating. Even if I'm not going to market myself as an event or studio photographer, I still need to take my work to the next level.  Lately, I've been enjoying the works of some really talented HDR photographers and I'm starting to dip my toes. The process is a lot harder than it looks and takes a lot of practice, but hopefully with practice, I can master the technique and offer my own interpretation of the world around me.

HDR photography is not always about capturing the image the way your naked eye sees it. With its expansive tonal range capabilities, you can really play with your images to represent an inner world of thoughts and dreams.

This is what I have so far:


© Jack Aiello
© Jack Aiello
This kind of photography can really be developed into an art form. Here's a look at what some of these photographers are producing:



Popular Posts